Thursday, March 27, 2008

Spring trumpting forth

The snow is still on the ground in the yards of my north Longfellow neighborhood here in Minneapolis. But signs of spring are already presenting themselves. This morning I heard the songs of robins.

And the other day, I knew spring was upon us as I heard the crazy trumpet guy!

He lives by the Schooner bar around the corner. Often, usually but not necessarily in the early evenings, he blows random notes on his trumpet around the neighborhood. He does it outside the bar. He does it in the alley. He does it at the bus stop. He does it out of his beat-up car. He even climbs in the tree with a giant stuffed Shrek. This time, he actually played part of a song. He must have been practicing over the winter.

I probably haven't heard his notes since September or October. The crazy trumpet guy is heralding spring, just like the rooster announces dawn. Sigh. There' s nothing like springtime in the city...

No comments: