Thursday, February 28, 2008

50 icebreakers

Through the magic of Google, I encountered the below list of 50 ice breaker questions. After answering all of them I bet you'll feel like you know me really well!

I got this from http://dhc.ucdavis.edu/fh/tw/icebreaker.html

ICEBREAKER QUESTIONS

Who is the most relevant person in our time?
What kind of question is this? Relevant to what? Howbout Sarah Vowell?

What is the title of the best book you have ever read? Why?
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - because I've read it probably 20 times.

What is the name of the best movie you have ever seen? Why?
Brazil hands down - because I had to watch it 4 or 5 times in order to appreciate it.

What comes to mind first when you hear the word "reality"? Why?
Horrible television. Self explanatory.

What is the most beautiful thing about people? Why?
That they can be nice to others. Because they'd be even more beautiful if they were even nicer.

What is the most honest thing you have done?
I don't know how one instance of telling the truth is more honest than another. It's honest or it's not. I can tell you that discussing Santa Claus with my daughter is NOT the most honest thing I've done.

If you could change one thing about yourself what would you change? Why?
My persistent inability to defy gravity.

What is the ugliest thing you know? Why?
How politics works. Because I haven't literally seen how sausage is made.

What do you like to do most with a free hour? Why?
Read. It's relaxing and informative.

What is the most significant event of the last three months? Why?
For whom? January 1st I guess. It made it a whole new year for us, and the last year of the Bush administration.

What force of history are you most aware of as you plan your life? Why?
The impending doom. It's hard to plan around it.

On what basis do you select your friends? Why?
Tolerance of me. It's hard to be a friend with someone who can't tolerate being around you.

What is the most overwhelming thing you know? Why?
We are mortal.

What is the greatest problem in the United States? Why?
Willful and celebrated lack of critical thought. It leads to crappy decisions and decision makers.

What thing makes you most humble? Why?
Smart capable people, because they put me in my place. Therefore, being married makes me humble everyday.

What is the greatest value that guides your life? Why?
The Golden Rule. There's a reason it's called that.

If you could chose to be an animal what animal would you choose to be? Why?
A tortoise. They sit in the sun day in and day out and some can live to be a couple centuries old.

If you could smash one thing and one thing only, what would you smash? Why?
Donald Trump's gigantic ego. He'd be a completely different person.

What is the greatest crime one person can commit against another? Why?
I don't know. But I bet it's featured in some horror film I've refused to watch.

For what do you think you would be willing to lay down your life? Why?
It's hard to know not having done it. I'm sure there's something. Probably not everlasting notoriety though.

What do you feel when you stand on the shore of the ocean?
Happy.

If you were tape recording the sound of violence, what sound would you use? Why?
George W. Bush's State of the Union. It's one of the most violent things my ears have been exposed to.

What sound would you use for beauty? Why?
The sounds the the forest with a mid-day summer breeze blowing through the tops of the trees. What could be better?

If an atomic bomb were to explode a block away in ten minutes, what would you do for those ten minutes?
How big? If it is one megaton or less, maybe there's a chance to get a way far enough to survive. Presumably we're talking a bigger bomb. It's hard to say. There would probably be some lip and ass contact as I said my goodbyes.

What one word would you put on your gravestone? Why?
I'm getting cremated. But if I had a gravestone, I'd probably want my name on it. Otherwise, maybe to encapsulate my feelings on being departed: "Damn." If I had some life insurance and a more wordy gravestone was available, I'd look around for some inspiration.

Choose a word that best describes your life up to this moment? Why?
"Breathing." It's one thing that I've certainly been doing all this time including right now.

What is the most beautiful thing you have ever seen?
None of your business.

What is your biggest worry? Why?
Poverty. Not really sure why.

What idea does everyone in this room want to hear? Why?
Let's go get ice cream! I'm with a four year old.

What do people like best about you? Why?
My beard? Beards are awesome!

What do you think of when you think of tragedy? Why?
Man, that sucks. Because it does.

What person has influenced your life the most? Why?
My parents, because that whole procreation thing and being there from the get-go. Plus, I can blame them then for all my personality flaws.

What skill do you need in order to succeed? Why?
Ambition. Couch potatoes rarely succeed.

What talent should you develop? Why?
Play the guitar. It's a great chick magnet.

What makes you most secure? Why?
Airport security. No, wait.

What institution is most in need of change? Why?
The Vatican. There's at least one reason.

What word best describes advertising? Why?
Obtrusive, because it is.

Choose a word to describe a sunset? Why?
Orange, because it is.

When do you feel most lonely? Why?
At night. Everyone else is asleep.

When do you sense being most alive? Why?
Listening to The Who. How can you not?

What TV advertisement bothers you the most? Why?
I always put on the mute if watching TV. The last one I recall that really annoyed me was the Bob Dole/Britney Spears Pepsi commercial from like 7 years ago.

Choose a word you to describe the elderly population? Why?
Huh? "Aged" I guess.

Why don't you speak to people in class who look lonely?
What class? Hmmm. Maybe they are boring?

What is the biggest waste you know of? Why?
The Pentagon's budget. Just think what you could do with a few hundred billion dollars each year.

What will you be doing ten years from now?
Eating and sleeping at minimum hopefully.

What will save American politics? Why?
Nothing will "save" it. But some things would help: Eliminating the electoral college, instant run-off voting, public financed elections, a Republican Party without James Dobson and pals, a Democrat Party without Joe Lieberman (done!), a few replacements on the Supreme Court, reforming congressional redistricting process for real competition, and a President Barack Obama.

What future discovery do you anticipate the most? Why?
Evidence of life beyond Earth because that would be really cool.

What is the greatest music ever composed?
I haven't listened to everything, but it has to be classic rock from The Who and Led Zeppelin.

What do you love most? Why?
Guacamole.

Why are you here?
I had to be somewhere. It beats Texas.

2 comments:

cy said...

What is the ugliest thing you know? Why? How politics works. Because I haven't literally seen how sausage is made.

great response!

Dave Berzack said...

brilliant. i love your answers and look forward to reading more of your blog.