Thursday, May 1, 2008

More signs of spring

Happy May Day!

I'm celebrating spring with every opportunity I can. One of my favorite spring arrivals occurs this Saturday. The Midtown Farmers' Market begins the season!

Since we've had snow in a matter of days within the market, I don't have high hopes for a lot of seasonal produce. But we're close enough to start going through the motions. Plus my favorite market will have coffee, hothouse tomatoes, Wisconsin cheese, and some live music. To mark the first market of the season, this Saturday will feature some sheep shearing! My dog isn't the only one getting rid of her winter coat.

The Midtown Farmers' Market is a much smaller affair than the big downtown St. Paul or Minneapolis markets. I love it because it is a true neighborhood affair. When it's not too cold or hot, I can walk there. I get to bump into neighbors. I don't have to battle rude crowds with my stroller or wagon. And, the live music is usually better. How many stalls of lettuce and tomatoes does one really need to choose from anyways?

So, to all my south Minneapolis neighbors, I hope to see you this summer at the farmers' market!

Something to look forward to later in the season!

No comments: