Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The little things

I'm getting a little tired writing about the politics of the presidential contest, but I can't seem to help myself. Right now, I'm going to go halfway and use a political story to make a non-political point.

The Washington Post today ran a piece about former candidate Bill Richardson's struggle on whether to endorse Clinton or Obama (presumably not Edwards by his omission in the piece). Richardson is under a lot of pressure from all sides to commit. He likes Clinton and feels loyalty towards her. He then tells the reporter one of the reasons he likes Obama, stemming from an experience at a Democratic debate last year:

"I had just been asked a question -- I don't remember which one -- and Obama was sitting right next to me. Then the moderator went across the room, I think to Chris Dodd, so I thought I was home free for a while. I wasn't going to listen to the next question. I was about to say something to Obama when the moderator turned to me and said, 'So, Gov. Richardson, what do you think of that?' But I wasn't paying any attention! I was about to say, 'Could you repeat the question? I wasn't listening.' But I wasn't about to say I wasn't listening. I looked at Obama. I was just horrified. And Obama whispered, 'Katrina. Katrina.' The question was on Katrina! So I said, 'On Katrina, my policy . . .' Obama could have just thrown me under the bus. So I said, 'Obama, that was good of you to do that.'"
I'm not going to claim that this says anything specifically noteworthy about Barack Obama. I'm sure most the other presidential candidates have also said and done nice things in the past, even to political rivals. (Well, maybe not Rudy Giuliani.) What's noteworthy is how a little gesture can make such an impact.

We never truly know how and when the little things will matter. Of all the interactions we have every day, which one is going to carry us forward? Stories like this serve as a reminder to be on one's best behavior in all circumstances and with all people. You never know when a good deed will pay back or when a misdeed will bite you back. Some may call that karma. I think it's just common sense.

Although it might have felt like a big deal at the time, asking the moderator to repeat the question wasn't going to seal the fate of Richardson's campaign. Maybe Obama was thinking ahead when he gave a helping hand to Richardson or maybe it was automatic. In any case, now Richardson is in the position to have an impact with an endorsement and this little gesture may make a difference.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post--- I highly doubt that Obama was calculating the political pros and cons while whispering Katrina to Richardson. This example sheds light on the possible reasons why Obama is receiving so many powerful endorsements.