Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Column of the day: The witch ain't dead

My favorite piece today is written by Salon.com's Rebecca Traister. She eloquently mirrors some of my thoughts the past couple of months. I'm not a Clinton fan. I hope she is not the nominee. I don't have a lot of trust for her. But I have been amazed at how poorly she has been treated by the talking heads. There has been a definite double-standard, and I suspect it is gender-based.

Traister opens with the following:
"I'm not a Hillary supporter, but ... " has been an oft-heard preamble in the five days since the New York senator's Iowa defeat, usually followed by a description of how aghast the speaker is at the treatment Clinton received from a media anxious to throw a hoe-down on her political coffin. To my surprise, it's a phrase I've heard myself uttering, before launching a tirade about the premature death certificate signed by pundits for a candidate I have never really wanted to win.

No comments: