Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Flattery

A 29 year old man serving as a Republican delegate was allegedly drugged and robbed while in Minnesota the other week.  He was robbed of a watch worth about $30,000 and about $20,000 of other items.

Now, it would be tempting to make fun of the Republican and use the incident to make all sorts of political points.  I'm not going there.  I genuinely feel bad for the guy, even though he's a 29 year old Republican delegate.  He's been the victim of a crime.

What gets me is something he told the reporter: "As a single man, I was flattered by the attention of a beautiful woman who introduced herself to me. I used poor judgment."

I don't know anything about this guy except some basic things about his politics and that he is an attorney.  I don't know what he looks like, what he sounds like, or his personal grooming habits.  But it is difficult for me to imagine that a 29 year old lawyer walking around wearing a watch worth 30 grand, as well as other expensive items, would not customarily be the recipient of attention.  He's not even from a place like New York or L.A. with thousands of other rich young guys to compete with--he's a young, wealthy lawyer from Denver, Colorado.

The sad thing is that he may be a late bloomer who has finally recognized that he can appeal to women, but now has had an experience that may prevent him from trusting women.

No comments: