Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Welcoming Republicans to Minnesota

I've been checking out the website for the host committee for the Republican National Convention. Mostly, I want to see what businesses will be promoting themselves for special discounts to Republicans with the GOParty card. (Yes, it is called that. No, they haven't released the details yet.)

The website has some Minnesota trivia. I always like trivia, especially history trivia, so the first question caught my attention:

Click on image for larger size.

If you can't see, it says:

"WHO KNEW? The last Republican National convention held in Minnesota was in 1892. President Benjamin Harrison got the nomination. He lost in the general election."

If you are a superstitious Republican, this 116 year old fact isn't encouraging. I just love how this "fun trivia" just gives the bare facts so plainly. The reader can take his or her own meaning from the trivia item. Of course, the raging liberal in me would love to see John McCain's name a century from now as the answer to the question: "Barack Obama was the first African American to win the White House, but who opposed him as the Republican nominee in the lopsided election of 2008?"

In my fantasy, no one gets the answer.

No comments: