Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween Pet Peaves

I remember when I was about 12 or 13 years old. A friend and mine thought it would be funny to go trick or treating. So we quickly assembled some pathetic costumes and visited perhaps a half dozen houses. We got several of the "Aren't you old for this?" questions, which were more disapproving than I realized at the time.

Nowadays, it seems like some teenagers trick or treat until their 18 years old. I wouldn't mind it so much, but teenagers tend not to be aware of others beyond them. (Granted, this is a problem for a lot of adults too.) So they don't realize their loud, boisterous behavior or aggressive shenanigans are frightening and disruptive to the young kids out. (I'm trying to sound old with using "nowadays" and "shenanigans." Does it work?)

In past years, the older kids often come out later, introducing another whole problem. People knocking on my door and ringing the bell until past 9:00 PM. I put out a note, but that's been largely ineffective. We'll see how late it goes this year. In the city I grew up in, they set an official trick-or-treat time. It ended around sunset. (Something like 4:00-6:30.) In this neighborhood, I don't think people get started until 6:30. I suggested something to my city council member last year about having official hours and he politely regarded it as the strangest, silliest idea he had heard in a long time.

Then there's all that darn candy. I'm not a candy person, so the sight of it makes me sick to my stomach. It's none too healthy either. It seems we have half a cabinet devoted to the musical chairs of Halloween, Christmas, Valentines, and Easter candy. The candy largely sits there until I notice that it's hardened to the point of being able to crumble concrete if applied with enough force. The stale candy is then quietly disposed to make room for the next holiday. I read recently that the U.S. produces and imports twice as much calories as the population needs. Clearly, we Americans do end up consuming a lot of these unnecessary calories; but I wonder what percentage of it is discarded or goes bad--and what percentage of that is Halloween candy. Just think, there must be tons and tons of candy corn alone that goes uneaten every year.

(Though, maybe it's recycled...)

No comments: