Monday, October 15, 2007

Being an at-home dad

A couple of weeks ago Newsweek had an essay about stay-at-home/involved fatherhood. It's a decent piece called, "Just Don't Call Me Mr. Mom." In the daily hustle and bustle, I sometimes forget that at-home fatherhood is still a relatively novel concept. Though, it seems to be at a tipping point. This article is just one of many recent media mentions on this "trend." (It makes me feel trendy!)

It's not an in-depth piece, but a good quick read. Two items I like in the piece: (1) The take down of Parenting magazine being subtitled "What Matters to Moms." The publication, which we got for a year or two, not only ignores dads on its cover, but about 99.9% of its content ignores the contribution of dads in parenting. (2) The title's request to not use the term "Mr. Mom." Few men, even the liberated, at-home dad types, like to be called a woman. It's no disrespect to women or moms of course, but dads want to be dads.

I think there is probably a strong generational component to attitudes around fathers being the at-home parent (or the broader trend of fathers being more involved with their children). I haven't experienced too much judgment from people of any age, but those my own age generally don't seem to view it as unique or of note at all.

Meredith has occasionally asked where I worked (mostly after I quit my job last spring). I tell her my job now is to be at home to take care of her and sister. She seems to get it. It helps that there are other examples of at-home moms and dads of friends of hers.

I don't know how long I'll be at home full time. Jen was home during Meredith's first year, and took the lead on many of the household stuff during her 3 years of law school. So now it's my turn. Elaine is 6 months old and Meredith is 4. She'll start kindergarten next year. (Hard to believe!) It's a demanding (and sometimes dull) job, but we're having a blast.

No comments: