Monday, June 14, 2010

I want to live somewhere else!

RATE: 11



When I was in middle school I read a survey that most of my peers wanted to live within 50 miles of where they grew up.  This surprised me.  Didn't they want to escape just like me?
I did my own survey of my friends.  Every single one wanted to stay in northeastern Wisconsin. Astonishing!  Why?
In college I had dreams of spending years abroad.  I traveled some at the time and that desire only grew.  I figured that's how I'd live my 20s.  In my 30s I'd probably settle down in San Francisco, Seattle or Washington, DC. Definitely not the Midwest.  Then, I'd settle down and get married.
Right out of college, I moved to DC. A bit backwards plan-wise, but still a good start.
Then I got married.
Then I moved back to the Midwest.
Then I had kids.
So now I'm here for a bit.  More than 1000 miles from an ocean. Definitely not in Europe, the Middle East, or any other neat foreign place.
At least I don't live in the same town I grew up in.  I'm almost 300 miles away!


Why do we live the places we do? For most of us it's determined by a combination of jobs, affordability and proximity to family.  Indeed, there are times I wish I lived in the same town as my kids' grandparents.
Driving out this month to Wyoming and Montana made me jealous of the Western lifestyle--at least the lifestyle I was exposed to in the tourist towns.  Everything was beautiful.  People were so friendly.  Nevermind there are no jobs, I'd be far away from my family, or the different cultural and political values I'd have from my new hypothetical neighbors.  I would be near mountains!
Sigh...
I love my home. I love my neighbors. I love my city. I'll love my state even more once we get rid of the governor this January.  But sometimes I grow envious.  Is the grass greener on the other side of the continental divide?

When I was 10 and my sister bet me $5 that she'd leave Wisconsin before me.  At the time she hated the place.  That was 22 years ago.  Today she's still there, although now on the other side of the river.  I'm still waiting for my $5 in the exotic Land of 10,000 Lakes.

Comments

I think about this all the time. I wish I lived on the coast by the ocean or in the desert Southwest. I live in the Central Valley, here for my husband's tenured position. Maybe we'll retire somewhere beautiful. This was a thoughtful post. r
Maureenow
Derek, people talking about where they live and why they picked that location is a subject that I find no end of fascination to. That's funny that you bet your sister about who would leave the state first!

A number of my classmates from high school cleared out of the town where I live north of NYC. I looked around and saw more reasons to continue to call this home than to move elsewhere. It's a bucolic area where people from the city like to have country homes and it's quite close to the city. Long Island Sound, while lacking in the rougher surf of the ocean, is about a 45 minute drive from here.
designanator
You asked, "Is the grass greener on the other side of the continental divide?" I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but yes it is. It most certainly is. Just ask Elizabeth Gilbert.
marytkelly
...and here I have been keeping in mind how beautifully green I found WI last time we drove through....and I love the barns out your way--- with the stone foundations... I want to live in one! (refurbished interior of course)...
Just Thinking...
We have no choice where we are born, and I think little choice in where we end up.....xoxoxox
Robin Sneed
NYC born & raised, i spent the first 20 or so years of my life there. it was a great place to be 20 something & single.

the next 20or so were spent in the mid-west...Iowa mostly. i raised my children there...it was a great place to do that.

a couple of years ago i moved to the west coast...first to the beach, now in the desert... so far, its my favorite place to live.
lorianne
skeptic, I hated my home town growing up and swore to get out and never come back. Yet... post marriage, post kids, here I am. It takes more character to be able to return to where you came from, especially if you weren't so happy with it in the first place.

Remember, wherever you go, there you are... you can run, but you can't hide.
Grace Hwang Lynch
I'm fortunate in that I had the opportunity to live in several different places earlier in my life, including overseas. I'm still rather astonished that I ended up in a small industrial city in the Midwest. I never would have dreamed I would spend the bulk of my adulthood raising a family here.

That being said, I'm a firm believer that where you live is a very minor determinant for one's happiness. If a person is unhappy, geography is not the reason for it.
Procopius
I moved as far away from my mother as humanly possible without leaving the continental US. So I'm one of those who left and never looked back!
teendoc
Maureenow: central valley still sounds nice. I bet the winters are alright.
Designat: proximity to city and ocean: very nice.
Ame: family is indeed key.
Mary t k: I knew it!
Just: the barns are pretty, but would you really want to live in one? Think about the mounds of cow dung that have passed thru those old buildings over the years.
Robin: we have a choice, we just forget sometimes about all the constraints on those choices.

Lorianne: I think I'd love the desert except for the part with the poisonous snakes.
Skeptic Turtle
I've lived in many places from New England to Arizona, Pennsylvania, San Diego, Texas, and S Florida, and several short-term places in between.

But if I'd gone the family route, I would have likely ended up closer to home and to family back in Mass to raise kids.

I am permanently settled in South Florida now, because it's the spot I like the best!
Kellylark
Grace: sometimes one would prefer not to build character, but I see your point.
Procopious: I think I could be happy just about anywhere, even northern Illinios. But I'd always think there was somewhere better (with mountains)!
Teendoc: I understand why it 'd desirable for some to get away. For me, being within a shrt day
hv
Skeptic Turtle
Kelly: there's something for everyone, but I just don't get why people choose to live in south Florida.
Skeptic Turtle
With all that oil gushing, being far from the ocean may turn out not to be such a bad thing. Also, I think a lot of our modern mobility has to do with the fickle nature of modern jobs. People sometimes have to move a great distance to find work. Some might say they “are able to” as if this were mostly a positive. But I'm not so sure it is. I have a post I've been meaning to write ont his topic. Maybe I'll get to it one of these days. Meanwhile, thanks for an interesting time out from the more pressing matters of the day. Good luck collecting your due.
Kent Pitman
My Lutheran Wisconsin relatives might answer that way!
I do dream a bit...
Just Thinking...
You are soooo not alone in this thought. For me, I miss the beaches of Lake Michigan . . .
Owl_Says_Who
wow, this article is so true, i really feel the same way, I always want to live in another place, I have the feeling that I can become more happy over there... When I see people living in the same town their whole life, I think 'why do they do that?'. It's just safe, but I hope I will never chose for the regular options in life.
lisalisalisa

No comments: